Thursday, April 12, 2012

Trist Does Deco-Choco; "Easter Edition"

Okay so this isn't exactly a candy review, but it does relate to Japan and candy.
I finally decided to try my hand at some "decoration chocolate" also called "deco-choco" it's the art of taking ordinary chocolates and candies sold everywhere to create, one hopes, a thing of beauty which you can then bestow upon someone special. It's most commonly practiced in Japan for Valentine's Day, whereby girls will give deco-choco to a boy they particularly like, to let him know. Guess it's their version of that old American adage, that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Course, I guess you could take the more direct route and just punch a hole through his chest to get to the heart, but yeah...that gets a bit messy! >_<

Anyhoo, take a gander at stills from my first deco-choco attempt and then click on the link below to head over to youtube to check out the video. I can't add it here, since it was blocked due to copyright issues....music and whatnot.

Up first is a Hershey's bar with white chocolate ganache dyed pink with strawberry extract added, The purple "grass" is dyed coconut.
 
~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~
Deco-mini-cupcakes
 
 
 
 
 
 
~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~
Edible choco-cups with chocolate and strawberry ganache. Cups were made by brushing melted chocolate inside mini cupcake paper cups, then chilling in the freezer for about 20min. Some of the chocolate ones I actually salted for an awesome kick!
  
bunnies were made from m&m's with tootsie roll ears glued with chocolate and food decorating pen for their faces. I just loved doing these! ^_^

 
 ~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~
 Miniature Easter Baskets, made from mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with Tootsie roll handles glued on with chocolate, dyed white chocolate for green grass and cut-up jelly beans which I remolded into teenie tiny eggs. Only problem was softening up the tootsie rolls to make them into handles left them rather unable to hold their shape. So some ended up flopping over to the side. Or coming off completely. Even so, you have to admit they're pretty darn cute! ^_^
  ~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~
 These are all chocolates I molded myself from molds bought off Amazon and ebay. Solid egg with crushed almonds dyed pink.

Blinged out bunny made from cookies & cream chocolate She's holding a purse if you can't tell.

 
 
 
 ~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~
 Custom molded baskets.
 So I was trying everything at first to do these. I knew I wanted to make a completely edible basket, and at first I tried molding melted chocolate over porcelain bowls the old balloon in chocolate trick ect... Nothing was working. Silly me never thought to look for basket molds. Then when I did, I couldn't find one that was just the right size and shape to work. I bought 2 which I never did use. Then I found this one off both Amazon and ebay. Success!

 Even then, it wasn't easy. This mold was a bitch to work with at times! The bottom part of the basket just would not come out of the mold without much difficulty. There were times when I banged so hard to free it, I cracked the basket and had to start all over. Grrrrr......

In the end though, it finally all came together! Everybody I gave them to loved them!
You can't see it, but some of the handles of the baskets have a surprise inside. I placed a piece of chocolate twizzler inside during the molding for a special little treat! heheheh!
 Happy Easter!
 ~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~
 Click here to check out a video of my Easter Deco-choco

No comments:

Post a Comment